WELCOME TO FORGE LIFE!
Hey, fellow Forgers, welcome to Forge Life!
You can use either the Site Navigation Bar to the left or the Site Index link right above here.
Look around, find what you need, and (PLEASE) let me know if it was helpful. Also, if you can't find the answer, ask!
Big Point: Leave TONS of Comments, I really want to know what you think of the site and Handbook.
Don't ask about tagging, I wrote a guide for that, you can get there from the sidebar on the left.
Friday, November 5, 2010
When it comes to this site, I can understand if navigation can be quite a hurdle for those trying to find specific bits of information. For instance, I am constantly asked questions about how to tag items and what certain tags do; I remember putting together a very pointed and expansively descriptive chart, along with it's own appendations and paragraphs explaining each and every column. I can't understand why people can't find it, so here goes: a guide for the guide.
To the left, you can see a Toolbar with links to all of the Important Areas of the Site.
Index and Updates
- An Index of all of the Articles of the Forge Handbook, along with a log of all of the updates and additions to the guide and site.
- An Index of the Map Design Articles, with Overviews of each one as well as an over view of map design and resources for level design.
Advanced Object Settings [Under Construction]
Pro Tips [Under Construction]
- Information on Topics such as Precision Editing, Rotation Snap, and using items as rulers and other measurement help.
- An example of the workflow that I usually use when building my maps, useful for those getting started, helps you get an idea of how many different things you actually have to do to make a map in Forge 2.0.
- Visual representations of a map layout with EVERY objective game set up on them, in positions best set up to fit the map.
- An explanation of the items located under the SPAWNING tab in the ITEM SELECTION menu in Forge 2.0. Also discusses good spawning practices.
Game Type Design
- An Index of the Game Type Design Articles as well as a guide written to help create Maps and Game Types that work together, creating an experience rather than just a game.
Specific Game Type Design [Under Construction]
- The Big One, Design recommendations for each specific Game Type, save Invasion, which has it's own.
Crafting Invasion Experiences [Under Construction]
- A guide written specifically for Invasion Design, covers map building, objectives, tagging, spawning, and all.
The Tagging Chart
- A HUUUUGE Chart that covers the applications of EVERY Tag available in Forge 2.0, it also functions as the "required objects" guide for this site, as it lists if Tags MUST be present on items in the map for it to work for certain Game Types.
- Information on non-intended uses for tags that can prove quite helpful. Don't see something posted? Put it in a comment and I'll add it to the site with you credited beside it!
Game Type Archive
- An Archive of the different Game Types I've developed.
Above, you'll find links to the various Pages that make up the backbone of the Site, such as the Home Page, The Index (Again), the Q&A Thread, a link back to the Bnet OP, and a page about me, the Author.
You might also notice the chat window to the left as well. If it says that I'm available, look at the status to see what I'm up to, and start chatting. I might even start chatting with you, if you've changed your "nickname." To do so, just click on it, type over it, and then click in a blank space. To use the chat window, click in the lower white bar, type, and hit enter. Only drawback is that you have to keep a window of the blog open to use it. It does, however, carry over your nickname to the next time you visit, so I'll be able to notice return visitors and the like.
Remember to leave lots of Comments, and head back the the OP at Bnet through the so more people come this way.